Tip 1: Take Inventory of Back-To-School Items
First, take inventory of all the clothes and shoes that still fit your kids. Children grow so quickly, so we know you get as much wear out of their clothes and shoes as you can. Next, take a look at accessories like backpacks and school supplies. Set aside any stained clothes, shoes or supplies that need cleaning.
Tip 2: Refreshing Your Kids’ Favorite Outfit and Shoes
Now that you’ve picked out their favorite school clothes and shoes, it’s time to get them back-to-school ready. Remove stains, and bring clothes and shoes back to life, with OxiClean™ Versatile Stain Remover. It’s chlorine-free and color-safe, making it the go-to product for tough stains on laundry and shoes.
Items you’ll need:
• OxiClean™ Versatile Stain Remover
• A large plastic container
• Warm water
• Stained clothes and shoes
Follow these steps to remove stains from clothes:
1. Add warm water to a plastic container.
2. Mix one scoop filled with OxiClean™ Versatile Stain Remover to line 2-4 per gallon of water and stir until completely dissolved.
3. Submerge stained items in the solution.
4. Allow items to soak for 1-6 hours, depending on the severity of the stain.
5. Add a scoop of OxiClean™ Versatile Stain Remover to the washing machine along with your favorite laundry detergent before adding laundry.
6. Wash as normal.
Follow these steps to remove stains from washable shoes:
1. Make a pre-soak mixture with OxiClean™ Versatile Stain Remover following the first three steps above.
2. Submerge the shoes in the pre-soak solution.
3. Soak for 1-6 hours depending on the severity of the stain.
4. Rinse thoroughly with water.
5. Allow the shoes to dry fully.
Tip 3: Stock Up on School Supplies
Nothing says back-to-school season like shopping for school supplies. Check your school’s website for the current school supplies list and bring it with you to the store so you don’t forget any items. Check off any items that you’ll be reusing from past years, like scissors, a ruler or a backpack. Then, organize your school supplies, putting a nametag or label on any item that might get lost.
Tip 4: Restore an Old Backpack
Why spend money on a new backpack when it’s easy to restore your old backpack and make it look like new?
Follow these steps to remove stains from backpacks:
1. Pretreat tough stains by spraying OxiClean™ Max Force™ Spray directly onto the spot or stain until saturated.
2. Allow item to sit for 5 minutes or up to 7 days, depending on the severity of the stain.
3. Add a scoop of OxiClean™ Versatile Stain Remover to the washing machine along with your favorite detergent. Then add the backpack.
4. Check the garment label for care instructions. Wash in the warmest recommended water temperature.
Tip 5: Create a Homework Station with a Supply Caddy
Set up a designated area to make it easier for your child to do their homework. Choose a spot that’s well-lit and has a flat writing surface, with enough space to keep their supplies within easy reach.
Add a homework caddy stocked with supplies like pens, pencils, scissors, crayons, colored pencils, paper and any other items they’ll need.
Keep the homework station disinfected by cleaning regularly with OxiClean™ Laundry & Home Sanitizer, which kills 99.9% of bacteria and viruses around the home, when used as directed.
Follow these steps to sanitize your homework station:
1. Pre-clean the surface area to get rid of noticeable dirt and grime.
2. Fill the scoop to the top twice (269.4g) and add to one gallon of water in a large plastic container. Fully dissolve powder.
3. Apply the mixture to the surface area until it is visibly wet.
4. Let stand 5-10 minutes.
5. Finish by wiping the area clean with a sponge or rag.
Tip 6: Set up an Eating Station
Set up a designated area where kids can eat breakfast and snacks. This will help control the mess and give them more independence.
Stock it with quick grab-and-go items like cereal, chips, fruit cups, juice boxes and fruit snacks in clear plastic containers to help keep the area organized. Having food easily accessible will empower your kids to pack their own lunches or grab after-school snacks.
Tip 7: Create a Family Schedule
It’s no secret that back to school means a busier schedule. Create and maintain a family schedule or calendar to help you keep track of extracurricular activities, school events and those extremely busy carpool days.
Post your family’s schedule on a whiteboard calendar attached to the refrigerator or another common area. Color code each family member with different color and reuse the calendar from month to month.
Tip 8: Bring Sports Uniforms Back to Life
Speaking of extracurricular activities, it’s time to switch your focus to sports uniforms. As we all know, sports uniforms rarely stay clean. They can also be really expensive to replace year after year.
After the big game, act fast to get your kid’s uniforms into the laundry room to pre-treat stains, pre-soak, and get stained clothes into the washing machine as soon as you can. Use OxiClean™ Odor Blasters™ Versatile Odor & Stain Remover to help keep those sweaty, stinky uniforms game-day ready.
Follow these steps to remove sweat stains and odors from sports uniforms:
1. Read the label. Do not use if your item is silk, a silk blend, wool, a wool blend, leather, or labeled “dry clean only”. Follow the clothing manufacturer’s recommendations for proper water temperature and care. OxiClean™ Odor Blasters™ is chlorine-free, so it can be used on items that restrict chlorine. It is safe to use on colored garments.
2. Mix a full scoop of OxiClean™ Odor Blasters™ Versatile Odor & Stain Remover per gallon of water. Follow the instructions on the package and mix until completely dissolved.
3. Submerge the sweat-stained items in the OxiClean™ solution. Use a bucket, laundry tub, sink, or your bathtub. Soak for 3-6 hours. Extremely pungent items may require more soak time.
4. Transfer clothes to your washer and wash as usual, using your detergent. Add OxiClean™ Odor Blasters™ to the drum before adding your clothes, following label instructions.
Another pro tip: keep your kid’s sports uniforms organized separately from their everyday clothes in their closet or dresser. That way, they won’t be grabbing their uniform for everyday wear and play, extending their uniform’s life even further.
Tip 9: Create and Stick to a Laundry Schedule
Teach your kids about sorting clothes and laundry schedules to help give them more responsibility and help you in the long run. Set up a hamper in their room so they learn to clean up after themselves. Choose a hamper with dividers in them so they can sort their clothes by color to make laundry day easier.
If they have stained clothes, encourage them to give those clothes to an adult so they can pre-treat stains before they have time to set in.
Tip 10: Keep a Fully Stocked Laundry Room
A fully stocked laundry room will help you get your home (and your family) ready for the school year. Stock your laundry room with supplies to fight stains, extend the life of your clothes, and help keep your laundry and home clean and sanitized.
Key supplies every laundry room needs:
Laundry Detergents: An all-purpose laundry detergent is a laundry room essential. ARM & HAMMER™ Plus OxiClean™ will knock out stubborn stains and nasty odors, which makes it perfect for families.
Stain Fighters: You never know what type of stains you’ll be dealing with. Stock your laundry room with a few stain fighters like OxiClean™ Max Force™ Spray and OxiClean™ Versatile Stain Remover.
Laundry Whiteners: Prevent whites from becoming dingy. Make sure to stock your laundry room with OxiClean™ White Revive™ Laundry Whitener + Stain Remover, which is an essential alternative to chlorine bleach!
Odor Removers: Keep your laundry smelling fresh and clean by using OxiClean™ Odor Blasters™ Odor & Stain Remover Laundry Booster.
Laundry & Home Sanitizers: Go beyond laundry with OxiClean™ Laundry & Home Sanitizer. This will help you in the laundry room and around the house, keeping your family’s favorite things really clean. OxiClean™ Laundry & Home Sanitizer helps remove germs, odors and stains, and kills 99.9% of bacteria and viruses when used as directed. It works on laundry, carpets, couches, bathroom tile, and more.
You never know what this back-to-school season will bring. But getting your home and family back-to-school ready will be a breeze with a bit of planning, and by stocking your home and laundry room with everything you need to help make the new school year a success.