How to Get Rid of Pet Stains and Odors
Having a pet means lots of love and joy but plenty of stains and odors, too. OxiClean™ can help get rid of dog smells, cat messes, and pet stains and odors from your carpet, upholstery and laundry for a cleaner, fresher house.
Here’s how to help remove musty pet odors and clean up muddy pawprints quickly and easily so you can get back to fun times with your family and furbabies.
Pet Stains and Odors Throughout the House
You’ve been playing with puppy in the yard and Rover runs in ahead of you, tracking mud and dirt as he goes. Or your eager retriever decides to go for a swim at the park – she was having so much fun, how could you say no? – then gets in the car with wet fur or rolls on your carpet to get dry. Sound familiar? You’ve got the joys of puppy parenting and the cleanup that comes with it.
Luckily, tackling pet odors (yes, even wet dog smell) and stains is easy with one simple cleaning solution: OxiClean™ Odor Blasters Versatile Stain and Odor Remover. It’s a powdered cleaner made with oxygen-based, non-chlorine, color-safe cleaning ingredients and specially formulated odor neutralizers to get rid of stubborn smells – including musty, wet pet odors that seep into bedding and carpet and can make the whole house smell of wet dog.
Here’s the really cool thing: OxiClean™ Odor Blasters Versatile Stain Remover can be used to help with pet stains and odor on laundry (clothes, sheets, towels and more), carpet, car seats, upholstery, pillows and any washable fabrics.
How to Clean Pet Stains & Odor on Carpet or Upholstery
It’s a simple process to use OxiClean™ Odor Blasters Versatile Stain & Odor Remover on carpet or upholstery, including your cloth car seat.
Follow these steps to help get rid of pet stains and odors from upholstery or carpet.
- Prepare the surface: Remove any excess dirt from the area before treating, such as mud, vomit, poop, grass or hair.
- Mix: Fill the scoop included in the package of OxiClean™ Odor Blasters Versatile Stain & Odor Remover to line A per 16 ounces of water. Put the solution in a squeeze bottle, bowl or measuring cup.
- Apply only enough solution to saturate the stain, following package directions (squirt it on or dip a clean cloth or sponge into the solution and dab it directly on the stain).
- Wait: Allow solution to stand 1-5 minutes. Do not allow the solution to dry on the fabric or carpet.
- Blot the stained or soiled area with a clean, dry, white towel. Repeat steps 2 and 3 until stain is not visible.
- Rinse with clean water and blot until dry.
How to Remove Pet Stains & Odor from Clothes & Bedding
If your clothes or bedding are covered with muddy pawprints or smell musty and unmistakably “wet dog” then a pre-soak with OxiClean™ will help get the pet odors out of the laundry and the house.
Pay special attention to where your pet sleeps–whether that his bed, your bed or a family member’s, or a corner of the carpet or couch–you can bet dirt on his paws have left the scent of pet odor behind. You should wash your pet’s bedding about as often as you wash your own – every 1-2 weeks.
To remove tough pet stains and odors from laundry, follow these steps.
- Read: Check the label of the item for care instructions for water temperature and to be sure it is machine washable. Always follow what the label says. Do not use OxiClean™ on wool, wool blends, silk, silk blends, leather or fabrics labeled dry clean only.
- Mix: use up to a full scoop of OxiClean™ Odor Blasters Versatile Stain and Odor Remover per gallon of water in your laundry sink, bathtub or a large bucket. Use the hottest water temperature allowed on the item’s care label and use a full scoop of OxiClean™ for extra tough stains and odors. Swirl the water around to dissolve the powder. Submerge items in solution after dissolved.
- Soak 1-6 hours. Depending on severity of the stains or odors, some items may require more time to soak.
- Immediately wash as normal with your usual detergent and a scoop of OxiClean™ Odor Blasters to boost cleaning and odor-fighting during the cycle.
Always test OxiClean™ on an inconspicuous area first. Safe on colorfast fabrics only.
OxiClean™ Odor Blasters is an excellent pet stain and odor remover for fabrics and carpets throughout your home. It’s safe for colorfast fabrics to use any time you need it for a new stain or odor in your life.